Astragalus - general description
Astragalus is a one or perennial herbaceous plant in the legume family. Its main forms are grasses, shrubs, less commonly shrubs with numerous shortened stems. The leaves are oblong, pinnate, composed of 10-16 pairs of lanceolate leaves, like acacia. Astragalus root has many heads, its core is dense.
The flowers are collected in a spike-like or capitate inflorescence, in which there are about ten yellow, purple, white, rarely motley moth flowers. Astragalus begins to bloom in late May, breeds in July. Fruits, as a rule, are round in shape, enclosed between two leathery cusps, have a direct resemblance to other leguminous crops.
Astragalus - types and places of growth
More than 1600 types of astragals are known and all of them contain a storehouse of useful substances: natural antioxidants, selenium, tocopherol, the most valuable macro- and microelements, biologically active substances needed by a weakened body. And yet, let's look at those species that are most often used for medicinal purposes.
1. Danish astragalus - grows throughout Russia, the Caucasus, western Siberia, Ukraine, and the Far East. This species lives mainly in forest glades, meadows, rocky slopes, and in the steppes.
2. Marsh astragalus - its ranges are: Eastern, Western Siberia, Asia, the Far East. It grows mainly in bright forests, steppe and floodplain meadows, river valleys, on the banks of lakes, sometimes marsh astragalus is found on the outskirts of dark coniferous forests.
3. Astragalus malt leaf - concentrated in the European and central parts of our country, as well as in the Caucasus and Ukraine. It prefers oak-pine forests, edges, glades, floodplains of the rivers and is adjacent to shrubs of other crops.
4. Astragalus woolly-flowered - this species can be seen in the forest-steppe zones of Russia (Kursk, Voronezh, Volgograd regions), as well as in Moldova and Ukraine. It grows on a flat surface covered with dense vegetation.
5. Astragalus Saralinsky - found in Altai, in the Krasnoyarsk Territory, Khakassia, Irkutsk Region, Buryatia. It grows in subalpine meadows, in deciduous cedar woodlands, tundra.
Astragalus - healing properties
It has been experimentally proved that the substances that make up astragalus have a favorable effect on all body systems and slow down the aging process. An elite medicinal plant is used in traditional medicine by many nations.
Astragalus contains the most important BAS groups:
- polysaccharides - play the role of immunostimulants;
- organic acids - help the digestion process, prevent the development of putrefactive processes;
- flavonoids - absorb ultraviolet light and fight against cancer;
- tannins, rutin - strengthen the walls of blood vessels, clean them, and also have bactericidal properties;
- vitamins C, E;
- Essential oils with anti-inflammatory, sedative and antimicrobial effects.
Astragalus has a tonic, hypotensive, calming, hemostatic, diuretic, diaphoretic effect, dilates blood vessels, thereby improving blood circulation. Malt astragalus is used as a laxative and expectorant; as well as with dermatitis, scrofulosis, STDs and rheumatism.
Astragalus - dosage forms
As medical raw materials use all parts of astragalus. The roots are dug up in late autumn, washed well and dried in ventilated areas. Grass, leaves and flowers are cut during flowering, dried in a crushed form.
Infusion for the treatment of hypertension and the maintenance of the cardiovascular apparatus.
Preparation: put 2 tbsp. In a glass (200 ml) of boiling water. tablespoons of dry grass, soak in a water bath for 10-15 minutes, then cool, filter, bring to 200 ml and take 2 tbsp. tablespoons 3 r / d. The course of treatment is 6 weeks.
For the treatment of vascular atherosclerosis, it is advisable to take a tincture of Astragalus woolly flowering based on 70-degree alcohol and grass (in a ratio of 3: 1). We drink in courses (ten days of admission alternate with a week's rest), 30 drops 3 r / d before meals.
Bracing and hemostatic decoction: add 20 g of herb to a glass of boiling water, take 2 tablespoons three times a day.
Treatment of constipation: dilute 10 g of dry root extract in a glass of boiling water, insist 15 minutes, cool. Use infusion rectally - through an enema. To strengthen immunity, sedative effect, apply it inside: for 3 s. tablespoons two r / d for 4 weeks. As a sedative, such a decoction can be added to the bath during washing.
Astragalus - contraindications
- individual intolerance to the components;
- pregnancy (all trimesters);
Caution should be taken by persons suffering from severe hypertension.